Your take on the homeless
01-29-2007, 08:31 AM
The other day a woman came up to me and asked me for change, so I gave her two dollars. The very next day, same location she asked me for more money. I reminded her that I gave her two dollars the day before. She responded with "Yes.. Yes I remember. I bought milk with that though. I need more milk!" I said "You sure do drink a lot of milk." and walked away.

Obviously there was no milk. What is your response when a less fortunate person than yourself asks you for spare change/money? Also what do you do when someone comes up to you telling you an obvious bogus story and asking for money? example, their car broke down from three flat tires, they need money for their moms doctors appointment, ect.

Twitter updates we will follow you back
http://twitter.com/Hardcoreweather
Now on Facebook We will like you back
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardcorewe...466?v=wall

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Tell em' If I had a nickel for every time I heard that bogus story, I could give you money every day for the rest of my life. But I ain't got it, so you ain't gettin' it. All kidding aside, do some research, find the names and addresses of the local soup kitchens, food banks, and homeless shelters. Print this info onto some card stock and cut down to a manageable, business card size. Keep in your wallet or purse. Offer card to panhandlers, wish them well and go on your way. You would be surprised to find out how much some panhandlers receive each day from well meaning people.
Find all posts by this user
01-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Tell them you were just going to ask them the same thing, look confused and walk away.
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I try to discern if they are really in need of help or just out collecting money to provide for their habits. I like to help whenever I can, but hope I am not supporting someone’s habits or laziness. One thing I like to do is get some gift certificates from Mc D's and give those instead. That way they will most likely use it to eat and not go buy a bottle of alcohol or something else.
01-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Seattle is the worst place for being accosted by homeless that I've ever been. My strategy is to try not to make eye contact and just keep walking. That generally works, but the more aggressive will try to intervene.

Well in the homeless person's defense, if an underpass was my home, I'd want to drink away any reality that I could...

AARoads
01-29-2007, 11:31 PM
I think (and statistics in my county bear it out) that 7 in 10 are either chemically dependent, mentally unstable, or both. If approached, and I'm not feeling threatened, I offer to get them food. Turndown rate is 100%. So, I'm not as helpful as some might be.

Cheers,
----------------------------------
Phil
http://www.philtraynor.com
01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
I'll give them food or water...never money. A couple of months after the storm I dropped off about 2 cases of MRE's and a couple of cases of water that was left over to a couple of guys under an overpass. It made me feel good to see their happy faces and it showed that they really appreciated it. Of course...it was the nasty MRE's and the water that comes in the Aluminum cans...they didn't mind though!

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!*tt2

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
~W. C. Fields

[Image: MattMan_foshizzle.gif]