Texas Fires
09-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Texas Fires
Fires broke out across Central Texas Sunday. The*hot, dry, windy conditions made the job that much harder for firefighters.
Authorities say 14,000 acres have burned in Bastrop, destroying 300 homes. The fire is near FM*1441 and Highway 21. People in the areas of Wilderness Ridge, Cedar Creek and Alan Creek were evacuated. Four shelters have been set up in the Bastrop area for evacuees.
An estimated 2,000 to 3,000 acres of 6,500-acre Bastrop State Park have been burned in the ongoing Bastrop County wildfire.
Another fire*on Griffin League Ranch is moving south and forced the evacuation of all homes on Schwantz Ranch Road, Old Potato*Road and all Highway 21 homes east to Paige.
A large fire also started in Spicewood. It's off of Haynie Flat Road near the Barton Springs Lake area. All crews in the area are battling the fire. Evacuations were issued.
All 13 Travis County fire departments worked on grass or brush fires Sunday.*
RR 620 at Steiner Ranch is closed due to the fire. Steiner Ranch*residents were evacuated to Vandergrift High School on 9500 McNeil Dr.
Two major fires were in Pflugerville. One was located at Hodde Lane and the other was near Pfluger Street.
A Cedar Park fire has already been contained and extinguished. The fire started behind two houses around 11:30 a.m. Sunday. When firefighters arrived, the fire had already spread to one backyard. The winds then pushed the flames to the house next door.
Residents were home in both houses and escaped in a matter of seconds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Texas Fires
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fookie/[email protected]/
09-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Texas Fires
Wind-driven fires kill woman, child in East Texas
by Associated Press
kvue.com
Posted on September 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM

GLADEWATER, Texas (AP) -- Longtime Texas sheriff Maxey Cerliano says it's the fastest-moving fire he's ever seen.
Six homes were toppled within minutes, including a trailer where a woman and her 18-month-old daughter were killed because they couldn't escape in time.
Authorities say the fires were propelled partly by the high winds caused by Tropical Storm Lee. Thousands of acres were burned in eastern and central parts of the state.
Cerliano says the two people were killed Sunday near the East Texas community of Gladewater. It's about 120 miles east of Dallas and 60 miles west of Shreveport, La. A man survived from the trailer with minor burns.
Numerous homes were destroyed in the area as well as a church and parts of a cemetery.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
09-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Texas Fires
Now Bastrop fire is up to 18,000 acres and growing. 0% contained. There asking for help, any firefighter that can get off, come as fast as you can. We need help!!

Over 400 homes... Gone
Cows, horses, need to be moved.
Beds, water, food is needed. There are over 6000 people out of there homes right now with just the Bastrop fire.

If you have Facebook, go to Texas storm chasers and see for your self.

Sent by iPhone
09-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Texas Fires
Man.. I don't know what you guys in Texas have done to p*ss off the weather gods. Sad I hope you guys see some rain soon!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
09-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Texas Fires
[Image: DecBan.png]

https://twitter.com/kobayashifh
Nuts!

"Two riders were approaching, the winds began to howl"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Texas Fires
Now here is a time when it would be great if we could control the weather to a degree and create rain. A bunch of you all disagreed with me a while back when I suggested it, but here is a good example of what a good thing it would be.
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Texas Fires
Windwatcher Wrote:Now here is a time when it would be great if we could control the weather to a degree and create rain. A bunch of you all disagreed with me a while back when I suggested it, but here is a good example of what a good thing it would be.

You're telling Mwah? We had one more post-Irene downpour (5 to 10") power outage again last night after the 10 to 15" from Irene. Except for the Eastern Shore most of Irene was less-than-tropical-storm winds but very heavy rains.

North of us up through New England had 11 to 15" rain in a system the week before Irene, which was why all the problems with Irene.

Texas Draught severity map this am had 80% of the state in Dark Red Severe Draught.

Same news report said 350,000 Acres already burned, and that the burned area was bigger than the state of Connecticut.

https://twitter.com/kobayashifh
Nuts!

"Two riders were approaching, the winds began to howl"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Texas Fires
I went flying this morning in the first cool air we have had in a long time. And it was nice, I just had watery eyes from the ceder and oak burning north of me. The inversion layer was thick last night. It trapped all the smoke and kept it below 2k feet. If you flew above 2k, it was like flying over a brown sea in all dirctions, you could barley make out the ground looking down. We have had a few more fires in our area today, but the wind is way down, and most were knocked out fast. Bastrop called our VFD, but they are too busy putting out our fires. Bastrop is now up to 25,000 acres. This is not the desert, nor scrub brush. This is alot like south Mississippi, Pine trees mixed with oak. We use to have dark green fields, and huge green oaks. Alot of people think of Texas as what they see on the westerns, or other shows that show rolling hills with no trees. Check out this youtube vid of what Bastrop,tx looks like now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnFxzEp40Nc
09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Texas Fires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXV1Owqtz...re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig1RHRx3P...re=related welcome to Texas, Hell on Earth!!