First VCR?
04-05-2005, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2005 04:24 PM by Jeffery McElroy.)
First VCR?
When did you guys get your first VCR? DVD player? Did anyone here ever own a Betamax? Do you think that there will be another format war in the next year or so? If so, what side of the camp are you on?

Hurricane Andrew (1992) Homestead
Hurricane Irene (1999) Homestead
Hurricane Charley (2004) Punta Gorda

I suppose I am just unlucky Smile

...Chat is evil
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2005, 04:27 PM
First VCR?
God that was so early 80's when we got the 1st VCR!! That thing was so very big and bulky!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2005, 04:30 PM
First VCR?
No Betamax?

[Image: 250px-Kaseta_wideo_w_systemie_Beta_ubt.jpeg]

Did anyone here own this thing?

...Chat is evil
04-05-2005, 04:33 PM
First VCR?
Me no, just a couple hundred VCR's and my DVD is my PSII!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2005, 04:47 PM
First VCR?
You know, there is going to be a war next year between two new formats. This is a very bad situation for the consumer and the movie industry in general. My personal hopes are on Blu ray (vastly superior technology with a slightly more expensive price tag). However, in the end, I don't think that many Americans have transferred to HD yet to merit this battle. Then again, perhaps when there is more content (right now, only a few select channels are in HD) there will be a bigger market. Regardless, the average consumer may not be ready. I am, but I am a geek and a filmmaker with some spare cash for this department. Say, this gives me a great idea for a new pole.

...Chat is evil
04-05-2005, 05:10 PM
First VCR?
Jeffery McElroy Wrote:When did you guys get your first VCR? DVD player? Did anyone here ever own a Betamax? Do you think that there will be another format war in the next year or so? If so, what side of the camp are you on?

My family I believe was the last on in america to own a vcr. They only got the Internet 2 years ago. For Christmas, I bought them their first digital camera, and for my mom's birthday, I bought them their first dvd player. They were the last one's on my block to get cable, too...

I was one of the first to get both a dvd player and surround system. The dvd was more than $400 (!) holds only one disk, and can't play the newer movies without picture fade. My new dvd cost $40 and is ten times better than the older one.

We never had a betamax, although a friend of mine did and was so pissed when the vcr format won out...heh. I think he also had a lasar disc player...loser.
04-05-2005, 05:18 PM
First VCR?
Laser disk rocks. Way ahead of its time, with picture quality nearly equal to a dvd. I remember them using those at WCS (my old private school) when I was in elementary school. I hear what you are saying about dvd. We had a REALLY rich fried who got dvd way back in the 90's when no one had heard of them. I think her husband was in the electronics industry or something. I remember her complaining about how there were no movies available to play on it. Ahem...

...Chat is evil
04-05-2005, 05:23 PM
First VCR?
when i got my dvd player, blockbuster literally had about 15 to rent...

so, we ended up renting them all...

even the ones we'd seen before and the ones we knew sucked...

just because we could
04-05-2005, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2005 05:43 PM by Jeffery McElroy.)
First VCR?
Well, you have widescreen and superior video quality. HD is going to be just as big a leap, if not more so. Watching an old movie on DVD for the first time in its original aspect ratio (try watching lawrence of arabia in pan in scan) is so exciting. Watching something like that in HD will give me a heart attack.

...Chat is evil
04-05-2005, 05:43 PM
First VCR?
Jeffery McElroy Wrote:try watching lawrence of arabia in pan in scan

um...no

i do plan on renting a lot of gladiator movies tho...