What Kind Of Ham Radio Is the Best?
02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I am going to purchase a new Ham Radio soon and was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2008, 08:40 AM
My dad was was a ham radio operator! He would talk to people all over the world.
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
How much are you willing to spend? I don't know too much, but i know people that would know whats good and whats not.

[Image: stormlabski8.jpg]
03-02-2008, 03:27 AM
I use a 75 Watt ICOM V-8000. Does everything I need and will operate on the 2M/440 frequencies. I don't use a scanner since most police departments are going 800 Mhz and securing there freqs. I can still pick up troopers/county agencies on my V-8000 as well as a weather band when hitting repeaters. You could look into a dual band ICOM radio if you wish.....they are a little more expensive. I love mine.
03-07-2008, 04:29 AM
What kind of antenna should I buy for my ham ?

Twitter updates we will follow you back
http://twitter.com/Hardcoreweather
Now on Facebook We will like you back
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardcorewe...466?v=wall

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Brett Adair Wrote:I use a 75 Watt ICOM V-8000. Does everything I need and will operate on the 2M/440 frequencies. I don't use a scanner since most police departments are going 800 Mhz and securing there freqs. I can still pick up troopers/county agencies on my V-8000 as well as a weather band when hitting repeaters. You could look into a dual band ICOM radio if you wish.....they are a little more expensive. I love mine.

I too use a V-8000 GREAT little radio. Small, compact, and powerful. It's a sweet little radio!
06-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm a day late and a dollar short but I just ran across this thread. Which do you want? HF, vhf, etc?

There are a lot of great rigs out there. Icom and Kenwood are my favorites, no matter whether you want hf, vhf, or what.

Myself, I still have an old boat anchor, Kenwood TS 520S into a dipole. With the sunspots coming around, it does fine for what I do.

Don Galaway NV5X

Don NV5X

CoCoRaHS volunteer
Veteran of Carla, Allen, Rita and IKE, to name a few.
06-07-2008, 08:06 AM
I am also in the market for a small ham radio that doesn't weigh 50 lbs

Twitter updates we will follow you back
http://twitter.com/Hardcoreweather
Now on Facebook We will like you back
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardcorewe...466?v=wall

06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
As has been mentioned the ICOM V8000 is a great 2 meter radio, very reliable and rugged. I use mine with a 5/8 wave antenna. Antenna is tall but if you are not driving in and out of parking decks it will do a great job for you. Good luck.
09-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Some questions:

1) Do you have a license? Your questions would indicate you don't.

2) Your question is like asking "should I buy a motorcycle, a truck, and ATV, or a boat? The answer of course depends on how you plan to use it. If you want to communicate worldwide, then you'd want a HF radio. If you' d like to communicate worldwide from your car, you'd need a mobile HF (High Frequency) radio. If you'd like to talk within a region from you car, a 2m FM transceiver. Want this while walking around? A different type of FM portable. Emergency portable long distance off of batteries what you're looking for...then you'd likely need a HF CW radio.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

J. (Ham for over 35 yrs)