Winter's Revenge
01-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Winter's Revenge
While I'm enjoying our mid 50's here in Long Island, the cold air is planning to mobilize-and they got a new weapon, low level cold air! So with this boundary setting up, waves will form ride in an east to west fashion, and with this southeast ridge the way it is-some area's are going to be seeing way too much ice. Now Ice is dangerous not only does it weigh ton's it can make travel impossible...so be careful what you wish for, as some of you might get it. Right now I not seeing any model progs' that support what I'm thinking, but most of the models are worthless when it comes prediciting low level cold air, but all it takes is for one measly storm to bring down that air to temp. criteria, and boom you have an ice storm on your hands. Hope I'm wrong on this one...not that I'm ever right tho.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Winter's Revenge
Actually, you seem to be right often enough. If an ice storm did emerge, how severe an event would you be looking at? Or is it too early to know?
01-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Winter's Revenge
James Wrote:Actually, you seem to be right often enough. If an ice storm did emerge, how severe an event would you be looking at? Or is it too early to know?

In terms of damage, an ice storm is much more damaging than a snowstorm, should it manifest itself into a truly horrific event. Downed trees & powerlines, and the resulting loss of electrical power are the immediate worries, and driving (or even getting INTO one's car) can be umpossible! Check out these photos from a Canadian Ice Storm to get an idea of the possible devastation:

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSIceStorm/menu.html
01-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Winter's Revenge
Thanks James. And those are some scary pictures...I don't think we'll end up with something like that...but cross my fingers, things this year are crazy. Did you know Los Angles had the most rain ever recorded in a one day period! Did you know the most tornados struck land this year! Did you know (I hope you did) we had 4 hurricanes ravage Florida!!! Did you know we had an earthquake kill indirectly 150,000 + people! What will the winter bring..
01-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Winter's Revenge
>>>Did you know the most tornados struck land this year!

Keith, LOL! Those tornadoes that struck water were called waterspouts!!! I know what you're sayin', tho, the US had more tornadoes touch down than ever...so 2004, weatherwise, has been "THE SEASON FROM HELL" [tm LI Phil]. Record number of tornadoes, 4 major landfalling 'canes, volcanoes, earthquakes WPAC typhoons & now tsunamis...one might even be crazy enough to believe that there is something the left-wing hollywood lunatics are calling "global warming" is taking place...well...when hell freezes over [tm The Eagles], then global warming will be confirmed!
01-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Winter's Revenge
Even over here in the UK we had some extreme weather. Boscastle is probably the most notable example. That was the result of the wettest summer ever recorded here. Not as extreme as a lot of people have experienced, but I've never seen anything like Boscastle before.
01-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Winter's Revenge
James Wrote:Even over here in the UK we had some extreme weather. Boscastle is probably the most notable example. That was the result of the wettest summer ever recorded here. Not as extreme as a lot of people have experienced, but I've never seen anything like Boscastle before.
James,

forgive me for being both stupid and lazy, but what is this "Boscastle" event to which you are referring....I'm too tired to do a google search right now. I know you said the wettest summer, but can you elaborate a tad more...Thanks!
01-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Winter's Revenge
As alluded to in Keith's first post, we have a MAJOR ice storm setting up for a very large area. There will also be quite a snowstorm for many. Fortunately for me on Long Island, we look to be a little too warm for any ice, but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Models are still all over the place, and I think for the most part they are too warm...local forecasters are also all over the place, with the NWS issuing a special weather statement for a possible major snowstorm, while others are calling for plain rain. Regardless, this is going to be a major headache for many from the midwest through New England.

[Image: 1stg.gif]
01-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Winter's Revenge
LI Phil Wrote:James,

forgive me for being both stupid and lazy, but what is this "Boscastle" event to which you are referring....I'm too tired to do a google search right now. I know you said the wettest summer, but can you elaborate a tad more...Thanks!

Boscastle was the scene of a flash flood disaster on August 16th this year. On that day, the entire average rainfall for August fell in 2 hours. As a result, 2 rivers burst their banks, and a torrent of water several feet deep rushed through the village, sweeping away cars, buildings and trees.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/3571748.stm