Hardcore Weather
Central Florida - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Local Weather (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Central Florida (/thread-974.html)

Central Florida - ocala - 06-05-2009 05:00 PM

What's with these rain bands coming off the Gulf? It almost looks like a front with squall line.
Happened twice this week. Not complaining but it is rather odd.
Nice thunderstorm today to push the total for the month to 2.99.
Everything is green and growing.

Central Florida - ChessieStorm - 06-06-2009 08:51 AM

Same here Ocala, we had thunderstorms blast through yesterday afternoon around 12:45 p.m. Didn't rain long, but it poured when it did with gusty winds.

Southwest wind flow produces these showers and storms off the gulf anytime during the night through the early afternoon hours. In the Bay area they call this the reverse summer time pattern (since normal is southeast winds bumping up against the sea-breeze in afternoon to evening hours).

We are currently getting doused with a good shower at 10:45 a.m. Most of the night parts of Citrus and northern Hernando had storms training over the same areas. Thus it was thundering and lightning most of the night. We had just tiny shower.

My yard is growing and green. This is the best it's looked since the Tropical Storms/Hurricanes of 2004. I'm having to mow every 4 days now.

Central Florida - Alex - 06-06-2009 04:26 PM

The rain of earlier this week has left us in a dry pattern (yet again). No rain chances until Wednesday and only 20% chance from there on out. I don't think we've had more than 3 days of rain in a row since the winter (Was just reading up above where you all had 11, 18, and 10 days in a row of rain).

Central Florida - liftofflady - 06-06-2009 06:53 PM

Both yesterday and today we have had squal line like thunderstorms with heavy cloud to ground lightning. Yesterday's storm was much more intense with lightning strikes very close to us, close enough to see a transformer get hit a couple streets behind us. The thunder was so loud I had to keep our dog in an inner room to keep her calm while my hubby stood in the back door watching the light show.No pics unfortunately. I had no idea our dog was going to freak so bad...tonight I kept her in her kennell but wasn't near as strong as last night.

Central Florida - ChessieStorm - 06-07-2009 05:37 AM

aaroads Wrote:The rain of earlier this week has left us in a dry pattern (yet again). No rain chances until Wednesday and only 20% chance from there on out. I don't think we've had more than 3 days of rain in a row since the winter (Was just reading up above where you all had 11, 18, and 10 days in a row of rain).

Yea, we had like 11-12 days straight in May (May 15-26) and before that we went like 4-5 days straight. So far in June 4 of the first 6 days have had rain. So we've been getting some, granted at times it isn't much, other times we've gotten decent amounts.

We are supposed to go back to a more normal summer time pattern. We'll see. If this supposed low in the tropics forms and goes to our east, then we'll be on the back side of it (the dry side) and thus no rain for a few days.

Central Florida - ocala - 06-07-2009 08:13 AM

liftofflady Wrote:Both yesterday and today we have had squal line like thunderstorms with heavy cloud to ground lightning. Yesterday's storm was much more intense with lightning strikes very close to us, close enough to see a transformer get hit a couple streets behind us. The thunder was so loud I had to keep our dog in an inner room to keep her calm while my hubby stood in the back door watching the light show.No pics unfortunately. I had no idea our dog was going to freak so bad...tonight I kept her in her kennell but wasn't near as strong as last night.

Our dog was the same way. Never had a problem until one of those loud storms rolled through. After that until she died everytime she heard a clap of thunder she would start shaking.
Actually found a dog sedative at Publix that worked. If we gave it to her in time for it to work then the thunderstorm wasn't as traumatic.

Central Florida - ocala - 06-12-2009 10:26 AM

I do believe Summer is just about here.
Getting very soupy out there but it still has a little bit to go.
Now if we could turn the rain machine back on.
Aaroads have you been visiting this past week? Your storm shield is working great.

Central Florida - Windwatcher - 06-12-2009 11:23 AM

ocala Wrote:Our dog was the same way. Never had a problem until one of those loud storms rolled through. After that until she died everytime she heard a clap of thunder she would start shaking.
Actually found a dog sedative at Publix that worked. If we gave it to her in time for it to work then the thunderstorm wasn't as traumatic.

What's the name of the sedative? My dog can tell if thunderstorms are coming when it's still in Oklahoma!!

Central Florida - ocala - 06-12-2009 03:39 PM

It was in the pet section at the supermarket. If you can't find it there I'm sure any pet store would have something.

Central Florida - ChessieStorm - 06-13-2009 02:45 PM

We are back to the hot and dry stuff again after a very wet period between May 11-June 6. My yard which had been nice and green, is now drying back up due to the low to mid 90 temps, high sun angle (which no doubt feels like 110-120 on the grass).

Very unusual for a powerful high pressure to be positioned to our west this time of year and funnel in dry air aloft. The surface is moist enough, but when clouds form they quickly stop growing after 10,000-12,000 feet.

Today, in the northern part of the state, a trough from a piece of upper level energy is firing off big time storms in the mid 90 heat, too bad it won't make it this far south.

Gulf water temps are also rising due to basically cloud free conditions over the water and longer daylight.

Hopefully the rainy season will start or at least get going again, but until then we're hot and humd.