Hardcore Weather
Central Florida - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Local Weather (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Central Florida (/thread-974.html)

Central Florida - ocala - 10-11-2007 01:01 PM

I guess I was the lucky one here in central Fla. We had several intense thunderstorms. That's usually not the case here as they always go somewhere else. Had many sleepless nights as it's impossible to sleep a with marching band going through your bedroom with strobe lights.
From the last day of August through September recorded over 20 inches of rain, and for the year I'm at 52.05. Blows away my total of 29.42 for last year.
Very sad to see this thunderstorm season end. A great great year.
The icing on the cake would to have been a cat1 or strong TS come through the area. Tropical season isn't over yet so there's still hope.

Central Florida - Alex - 10-16-2007 08:07 PM

Tampa has had 39.25" thus far this year, but they received more thunderstorms that side of the bay (being north and east) than us on the peninsula. Largo for instance, the last week's worth of storms received them almost daily while we only nabbed a 15-minute shower.

I can find no annual precipitation stats at quick glance from either St. Pete-Clearwater Int'l Airport of Whitted Airport, but I'm sure that they are a good bit lower.

I'll take any kind of tropical system or rain at this point; in two years of living in the bay area, I've only experienced two subpar tropical storms, with a third coming through (Ernesto) when I was out of town for a week. When I move from here, my storm shield will go with me and something will happen.

I lived in Mobile, AL from 2000-2004, and just two months after I left Ivan hit.

Central Florida - Alex - 10-21-2007 12:17 PM

We received next to no rain from the 70% chance of showers/storms with yesterdays weak frontal passage. The NWS gets an F for forecasting this year. I cannot tell you how many times the rain chances have been 50%-70% where we netted nothing or a very minor amount. Too much reliance on computers and not enough gut instincts IMHO.

We cut the a/c off yesterday just to get some fresher air in last night and this morning I awake to find the smell of wild fires. I caught part of an article that mentioned that controlled burning was planned for Manatee, so perhaps that is what the smell is. I am not interested in a repeat of May, so I closed the windows again and the a/c is back on...

At least with the clouds the temps are kept down from record levels, as Tampa again tied one at 90 late last week...

Central Florida - Alex - 10-21-2007 12:21 PM

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071011/BREAKINGNEWS/71011006/-1/archives

Florida winter forecast: Warm and dry
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
FLORIDA TODAY and ASSOCIATED PRESS
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] Government weather forecasters are predicting a warmer and drier than normal winter in Florida because of a phenomenon called La Nina.

Much of the Southeast region is already struggling with drought and "right now they are looking at the second consecutive dry winter," Michael Halpert, head of forecast operations at the Climate Prediction Center in Camp Springs, Md., said this week.

A major factor in the forecast is La Nina conditions, which is marked by cooler than normal sea-surface temperatures in the tropical Pacific Ocean. That cooling can affect weather worldwide by suppressing the development of thunderstorms.

“It means not as many cold fronts will be making their way south,” said Larry Mowry, a meteorologist for WKMG Local 6, a FLORIDA TODAY news partner. “And that translates to less rain.”

Most of Florida’s rain during the winter dry season is generated by frontal passages.

“If the fronts don’t materialize, we are in store for a dry winter,” Mowry said.

The last strong La Nina occurred in 1998 when Florida was hit by widespread wildfires.

“We had a major drought that resulted in the wildfires,” Mowry said. “It’s too early to tell if this winter will be like 1998.”
[/FONT]

Central Florida - Alex - 10-28-2007 03:31 PM

Very small heavy showers have popped up over the Tampa Bay area. The sun is out and we have heavy rain at the moment. The cells are moving west-southwest of all directions!

Central Florida - ocala - 11-10-2007 07:18 PM

72 in the day, 45 at night, this weather stinks. Don't get wrong a break from the heat and humidity is great but this weather is boring. A squall line, super cell. Anything!!
Man, wet season don't start for 7 months Sad

Central Florida - Alex - 11-11-2007 12:30 AM

Extremely boring, and I want lows in the upper 50s, not low 50s. The house here has crummy insulation.

Central Florida - Alex - 11-15-2007 05:04 PM

For the first time in about a month, it rained! An isolated rain shower associated with a very ragged band gave us about five minutes of rain within the last 15 minutes. Wooo, moisture in the air, what a concept in the Floridian desert!

Central Florida - ChessieStorm - 11-15-2007 10:58 PM

Got real dark here in Spring Hill, but no rain. I checked the dewpoint reading at 11 p.m. on the WeatherBug station couple of miles from me and it was 27°, now that is desert readings.

Calling for mid 30's here tomorrow night, but I don't know if we'll get that low it will depend on the wind direction. If northwest it will be off the water and should keep from that low of a temp. But if calm or light north winds, it might get that low. Brooksville is calling for 32° tomorrow night.

Central Florida - ocala - 11-22-2007 08:27 AM

As I write this there is rain approaching from the west. Have only had .01 for November so far so hopefully this Thanksgiving will be very wet and stormy.:biggrin: