Hardcore Weather
Central Florida - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Local Weather (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Central Florida (/thread-974.html)

Central Florida - Alex - 06-01-2006 06:02 PM

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Ok, finally, storms, rain, lightning, satisfaction, it's about time!!!

Here's my thunderstorm report:

It started to thunder around 3:00 pm, around the time that we first started looking at the radar at work. We went to the Florida Gyros and Subs place for lunch, and noted all kinds of cumulus clouds on all horizons. You could feel the juice in the air, so was something about to pop? Only time would tell...

At about 3:30, Justin said "its thundering", but I kept saying no it's not, it's noise from the presses in the back. And he reinterated that it's thundering again and again and started getting annoyed at me saying it wasn't. So I was in denial, you move 3,000 miles to see thunderstorms and get jack and squat, you need 100% reassurance you know? So I move to another computer to print out some proofs I'm working on, and there it was, honest to goodness thunder. Finally, it was actually thundering. So Justin and I went outside and noted some dark clouds to the north. It was thundering quite a bit actually from that direction, and based upon the radar, the storms were drifting to the north northwest, so I then I came back in and made that post about storms everywhere but overhead...

Flash to about 4 pm, and thunder keeps on and gets louder and louder. Then, OMG, I hear it, what's that sound, it is true? Yes, it's friggin' raining, the desert gets its first monsoon, hahaha! It was the kind of deluging rain that I missed sorely from my days in Mobile, and finally, it had reached fruition here in Tampa Bay. Unfortunately at the time of the storm's inception overhead, I was in the middle of printing about about 40 proofs for an upcoming research project next week. So what's the saving grace, lightning, yah lightning. Woo, one spark and the power at the office flicks and kicks me off the computer. There's a reason to get off my @ss and go outside and check it out.

A moment later, Justin and I are standing under the awning with a sheet of water flowing from the roof tiles and gutter above. The whole landscape shined a light silver, reflecting the gray skies above on the sheen of water that covered everything. Ah, this was heaven, so why I am stuck at work during it? Justin says to me "well you said that whenever we had thunderstorms here at work, that you would go stand outside, so now your standing outside". Yah, doing what I said I would do, and I didn't want to go back in. So what I did I remember, well that I had a CTR (cassette tape recorder) in my desk drawer, and I noted a dry spot at the corner of the building, so I went in, grabbed it, and put it into action. Then I was able to go back to work and enjoy the storm knowing that I could listen to the recording later if I wasn't getting enough. :o)

At about 4:30, the power went out a second time, and a few minutes later it went out a third time. It was raining so heavily that it looked as if it was just before sunset when everything gets that deep blue hue. The rain was coming down so heavy that there was literally 3 to 5 inches of rain in the street, and it was slowly creeping upwards into the parking lot. I was again antzy and wanting to get out in it and actually drive around. It was 4:45 and Justin and I look at each other and decide that it's late enough to leave, and with the rising water, a good idea too, since my car rides so low to the ground.

Out the door and into rain, every intersection we drove through from the office to U.S. 92 was inundated, and cars were stalled here and there, and traffic slugged through it. With all of the vivid and beautiful lightning strikes coming down, I decided to call my friend James in Rhode Island, the most obsessed thunderstorm enthrallist you ever met. Sometimes I get in the mood to call him and let him hear them, since he lives in a place with a paltry 20 or so thunderdays a year. Well the timing was excellent, I get him on the phone, have my window down, when quite unexpectedly, a bolt of lightning strikes nearby to the north, right opposite from my open window. Justin and I immediately start laughing at the surprise of it, and James on the phone exclaims "wow, I heard that!". The network then ended our phone call prematurely, and we trudged eastward to U.S. 92 for our northern turn toward Tampa.

Going across the Gandhi Bridge, the skyline of Tampa was shrouded in mist and fog and a few more bolts graced the landscape. Sunlit clouds dotted the eastern landscape, and thus ushered in the end of rain. Ah, I'll take an order of this once a week please.

Thanks for reading whoever made it this far. :o)
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Central Florida - ocala - 06-03-2006 04:34 PM

Man the last 2 days looked so promising on the radar for me to get a drought buster. But, not a dog gone drop. A buddy of mine about 40 miles to the NW has gotten over 5 inches in the last week. I have had 5.64 since December.:saad:

Central Florida - bobbo4554 - 06-05-2006 10:26 AM

Hazardous Weather Outlook
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL
429 AM EDT MON JUN 5 2006

FLZ039-042-043-048>052-055>057-060>062-065-052030-
LEVY-CITRUS-SUMTER-HERNANDO-PASCO-PINELLAS-HILLSBOROUGH-POLK-
MANATEE-HARDEE-HIGHLANDS-SARASOTA-DE SOTO-CHARLOTTE-LEE-
429 AM EDT MON JUN 5 2006

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST
FLORIDA AND WEST CENTRAL FLORIDA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE COAST THIS
MORNING...THEN WILL SHIFT INLAND AND SOUTH OF TAMPA BAY BY AFTERNOON.
ANY THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING BRIEF HEAVY
DOWNPOURS AND FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING.

WHEN SKIES DARKEN...MOVE INDOORS. IF THERE IS TIME...UNPLUG APPLIANCES
AND ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT. WAIT UNTIL THE STORM ENDS BEFORE USING THE
TELEPHONE OR RUNNING WATER.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY

DRY AIR WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA ON TUESDAY. SEVERAL HOURS OF RELATIVE
HUMIDITY AROUND OR BELOW 35 PERCENT IS POSSIBLE ACROSS INTERIOR
PORTIONS OF WEST CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST FLORIDA ON TUESDAY. THIS
WILL CREATE DANGEROUS FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS...WITH THE RISK FOR
RAPID SPREAD OF ANY WILD FIRES THAT MAY START. PLEASE USE EXTREME
CAUTION WITH OUTDOOR BURNING ACTIVITIES.

THE RISK FOR ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL RETURN LATE
IN THE WEEK AND OVER THE WEEKEND.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION WILL NOT BE NEEDED.

Central Florida - The Bug - 06-05-2006 10:37 AM

sweet!

Central Florida - bobbo4554 - 06-19-2006 07:56 AM

Today: Scattered showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly cloudy, with a high around 92. Heat index values as high as 98. Southeast wind around 6 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 71. North northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tuesday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly cloudy, with a high around 93. Heat index values as high as 99. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low near 72. North northeast wind at 7 mph becoming southeast. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Wednesday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms after 8am. Partly cloudy, with a high near 92. Light east southeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. East wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8am. Partly cloudy, with a high near 92. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Thursday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 72. South southeast wind at 5 mph becoming east northeast. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high around 92. Calm wind becoming east between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low near 72. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 92. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high around 92. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Rainy season is here!

Central Florida - NDG - 06-19-2006 03:20 PM

Had a good soaker in Orlando this afternoon, close to 2" in Apopka.

Central Florida - The Bug - 06-19-2006 03:25 PM

nothing here in WH

Central Florida - The Bug - 06-24-2006 02:14 PM

Joe just called...he is watching a tornado which came down went back up and is coming back down again..in Lakeland around Hwy 98

Central Florida - bobbo4554 - 06-24-2006 02:38 PM

yeah around Lakeland Highlands moving Southwest. Needless to say Polk County is under a tornado warning.

Central Florida - bobbo4554 - 07-05-2006 07:08 AM

Hazardous Weather Outlook
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL
520 AM EDT WED JUL 5 2006

FLZ039-042-043-048>052-055>057-060>062-065-051530-
LEVY-CITRUS-SUMTER-HERNANDO-PASCO-PINELLAS-HILLSBOROUGH-POLK-
MANATEE-HARDEE-HIGHLANDS-SARASOTA-DE SOTO-CHARLOTTE-LEE-
520 AM EDT WED JUL 5 2006

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST
FLORIDA AND WEST CENTRAL FLORIDA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

A WEAK TROPICAL WAVE AND AN UPPER-LEVEL LOW WILL WILL AID IN THE
DEVELOPMENT OF SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS
TODAY. SOME THUNDERSTORMS MAY BE STRONG...WITH WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO
50 MPH IN THE STRONGEST STORMS. LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN AND FREQUENT
CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING WILL ALSO OCCUR. HAIL IS NOT EXPECTED
DUE TO WARM AIR ALOFT.

WHEN SKIES DARKEN...MOVE INDOORS. IF THERE IS TIME...UNPLUG
APPLIANCES AND ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT. WAIT UNTIL THE STORM ENDS
BEFORE USING THE TELEPHONE OR RUNNING WATER.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY

TYPICAL SUMMER WEATHER WILL CONTINUE WITH SCATTERED MAINLY
AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS EACH DAY.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT ANTICIPATED TODAY.