Hardcore Weather
Central Florida - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Local Weather (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Central Florida (/thread-974.html)

Central Florida - NDG - 04-17-2006 12:56 PM

I wonder why the NWS is not giving central FL a better chance of rain starting tomorrow other than a 20% chance of sprinkles. With higher humidity values moving in, though not as high as I would like them to be, & a cold front coming down the eastcoast to the north of us ,we might have a nice set up with converging winds inland across central FL for afternoon thunderstorms to form, though not widespread, but I still think a 30-40%. The chance of afternoon TS may stick around through at least early next week, some days more than the others.

Central Florida - Alex - 04-29-2006 12:32 AM

I heard two rumbles of thunder on Thursday morning at 0dark30, one of which rattled the hell out of the windows here. However with the storms being so late, I laid there for 10 minutes before going back to sleep. There were puddles on the ground, but the airport only reported a trace of rain, and the airport is like spitting distance from here...

Central Florida - NDG - 04-29-2006 02:19 AM

Here in the more interior section of central FL, we got more rain than the coastal sections, lucky us.

Central Florida - NDG - 05-01-2006 09:47 AM

Weatherwise another boring week here in Central FL, another late season cold front by this weekend might bring us a chance of rain, but that's about it. Nothing yet in starting our season of daily afternoon thunderstorms.

Central Florida - Alex - 05-01-2006 08:55 PM

NDG Wrote:Weatherwise another boring week here in Central FL, another late season cold front by this weekend might bring us a chance of rain, but that's about it. Nothing yet in starting our season of daily afternoon thunderstorms.

Our vicious rainy season... Let me remind everyone that deserts (and the west coast in generaly) have a rainy season, so what does that make central Florida? I like to b*tch about this place being a desert, and two days of rain in two months justifies it...

Central Florida - The Bug - 05-02-2006 08:37 AM

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060502/NEWS/605020332/1004

[Image: bilde?Site=LL&Date=20060502&...p;MaxW=250]

ERNST PETERS/LEDGER PHOTO
Fish carcasses pile up at the bottom of Dover Sink, which flows into the Peace River in Bartow, recently

[Image: bilde?Site=LL&Date=20060502&...ofile=1004]

[Image: bilde?Site=LL&Date=20060502&...p;MaxW=210]
ERNST PETERS/LEDGER PHOTO
Lack of rain has left the riverbed exposed in the upper Peace River in Bartow recently. Only 0.72 inches of rain fell in April.

Central Florida - Alex - 05-04-2006 09:07 PM

Ok I've decided to label central Florida's weather as not dry and rainy season, but instead as monsoonal and non-monsoonal. Monsoon means change in wind, and in the desert southwest, it represents the August to October time frame when the winds shift and bring in moisture and thunderstorms. The way I see it, this place is just like that. If we are to get 90 thunder days in four months, and 10 in 8 months, that fits the bill for me. </gripe>

Central Florida - NDG - 05-04-2006 10:26 PM

Guess what? The Subtropics have dry & rainy seasons, most of FL falls into that catagory. Except this year, due to a weak La Nina, the rainy season in FL, which should had started by now, has not started yet, usually FL's rainy season starts much earlier & lasts longer than compared to the US Dessert SW.
But I feel your fustruation, this dry pattern is only for the tourists seeking sun & fun. Is way beyond boring.
The bad news is that there is really no big changes coming up, maybe a slight chance of rain early next week, the GFS keeps holding back our rain chances.
I get the feeling that once the pattern changes, so will be the conditions for FL to be near the middle this year's Hurricane alley.

Central Florida - The Bug - 05-08-2006 03:22 PM

It continues...more today:

Heavy smoke covers part of I-75 in Hillsborough County.

A 375-acre brushfire has closed both southbound lanes and one northbound lane of I-75 in Hillsborough County.

The fire jumped the interstate and is burning on both sides of the road.

The Florida Highway Patrol closed the lanes mid-afternoon Monday. The area affected covers I-75 from about Big Bend Road to Gibsonton Drive.

Hillsborough County officials have sent a reverse 911 call to nearby residents informing them of a mandatory evacuation. That includes people in the following areas: Bull Frog Creek Road, Big Bend Road, Sims Road, Brancato Road, Herman Hollow and Breezy Creek. People are advised to the avoid the area.

At least six fire units are fighting the blaze.
[Image: smokyfire.jpg]

Central Florida - NDG - 05-08-2006 04:04 PM

So I see that the West Coast of Central FL is now experiencing what the east coast has been experiencing now for the past week or so, with portions of I-95 & SR 528 been closed at many different times. We need rain bad, believe it or not the next 3 days we may actually see a couple of showers before the dry pattern returns.