Hardcore Weather
Central Florida - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Local Weather (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Central Florida (/thread-974.html)

Central Florida - The Bug - 08-04-2005 08:53 PM

wow, I am exhausted. That storm was absoultely amazing. I have never witnessed anything like it before.

I am still seeing flashes when I close my eyes. My ears even hurt. Amazing. I am in awe.

I love Mother Nature

Central Florida - The Bug - 08-05-2005 03:10 PM

we are about to get it again. It is popping all over the place. No rain yet. but, it is coming.

Central Florida - LI Phil - 08-05-2005 03:18 PM

.[Image: latest.gif]

Central Florida - The Bug - 08-05-2005 03:24 PM

Thanks Phil. How is your day going?

Central Florida - Jeffery McElroy - 08-06-2005 09:54 AM

Expect another good round of storms today, Katie. Heat indices in the triple digits, and 50 percent chance of thunderstorm (however, where you are, it is realistically much higher)

Central Florida - Jason234 - 08-06-2005 10:42 AM

Short Range: Not much in the way of synoptic scale features on the peninsula as of 18Z. Though thunderstorms will still be likely today due to high dewpoints, superadibatic laspe rates, and some sea breeze interaction. The vertical wind profile supports a displaced outflow from the cloud base supporting severe thunderstorms in the inland couties today.

Long range: A surface trof centered over Mobile alabama might have some increase pop's chances next week with increased theta-e advection and overall troffiness, but a very strong ridge axis has anchored between TPA and MIA. Though for now expect the average afternoon isolated convection to persist.

Central Florida - Jeffery McElroy - 08-06-2005 10:45 AM

Keith, what is 'superadibatic'?

Central Florida - Jason234 - 08-06-2005 10:53 AM

METEOROLOGIST JEFF HABY

A super-adiabatic lapse rate occurs when the temperature decreases with height at a rate of greater than 10 degrees Celsius per kilometer. A super-adiabatic lapse rate is usually caused by intense solar heating at the surface. Especially when the winds are light and the soils are dry, heat from the sun will build at the surface. A super-adiabatic lapse rate is common in the Southwest U.S. in the summer, but can occur in most regions of the U.S. in the summer when the skies are clear (maximum insolation), wind speeds are low (limited vertical mixing) and soils are dry (no evaporational cooling).

A super-adiabatic lapse rate is labeled as absolute instability. The super-adiabatic layer is generally shallow and located near the earth's surface. Whether a super-adiabatic lapse rate at the surface leads to precipitation is a function of the moisture content of the air, the cap strength, trigger mechanisms, and upper level forcing mechanisms, etc. A super-adiabatic lapse rate in the middle and upper troposphere is rare.

Another situation a super-adiabatic lapse rate can occur is over a warm lake. When a cold air mass moves over a large lake (i.e. Great Lakes) the lake warms the air nearest to the lake surface. This can result in instability and a large temperature decrease with height above the lake. In heavy lake-effect snow situations there will often be a super-adiabatic lapse rate above the lake.

A downsloping wind is another situation it can occur. With a downsloping wind, air is warmed at the dry adiabatic lapse rate as it sinks. This combined with surface heating can produce a super-adiabatic lapse rate in the lower troposphere in the afternoon. If a dry adiabatic temperature profile is heated on its lower end it will become super-adiabatic (lapse rate greater than 10 C/km).

You don't necessarily have a superadibatic lapse rate, it was kinda an exaggeration, but you do have very steep laspe rates.

Central Florida - Jeffery McElroy - 08-06-2005 11:39 AM

ok, thanks. where can I find out what the lapse rates are over the area on a given day?

Central Florida - Jason234 - 08-06-2005 03:00 PM

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/s1/index2.html

Sea breeze interaction is very clear, boundaries will be colliding in a couple of hours...

From SPC.

TSTMS HAVE DEVELOPED LATER THAN PREVIOUS DAYS ALONG THE E AND W
COAST SEABREEZES. W COAST BOUNDARY SHOULD COLLIDE WITH THE E COAST
BOUNDARY OVER THE CNTRL/ERN FL PENINSULA LATE THIS AFTN WITH AN
INCREASE IN STORM COVERAGE ANTICIPATED. GIVEN COOL H5 TEMPERATURES
OF AROUND MINUS 8C ATOP VERY MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER...VIGOROUS/TALL
CONVECTION CAN BE EXPECTED. WEAK SHEAR WILL FAVOR BRIEF PULSE TYPE
MULTICELL STORMS WITH ISOLD DAMAGING WIND GUSTS. TSTMS WILL WEAKEN
LATER THIS EVE.