Hardcore Weather
Female Vice Pres it could happen - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General News (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Female Vice Pres it could happen (/thread-14468.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Female Vice Pres it could happen - Windwatcher - 09-17-2008 05:16 PM

If it takes a gorgeous face and fake boobs and a winning smile to charm some idiot ruler in the middle east who holds our future in his hands, then GO FOR IT!

Female Vice Pres it could happen - Windwatcher - 09-17-2008 09:35 PM

I'm still liking her. Just watched another interview.
Also just heard that hackers had hacked into her personal e-mail. This is an outrage! Private, personal emails---think about it---how would you feel? Family, friends, PERSONAL thoughts and correspondences. This is an all-time low and a crime.

Female Vice Pres it could happen - Daniel294 - 09-17-2008 10:13 PM

Windwatcher Wrote:[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="4"]17 Sep McCain warned Congress about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in 2005
When people talk about Media Bias, this is exactly what they are talking about.

John McCain has always been a reformer. Love him or hate him, whether he is stabbing his own Republican brothers in the back or standing by George Bush, he isn’t a partisan and he thinks for himself.

In 2005, John McCain was warning us about a mess that we find ourselves in now. This is an incredible statement, read what McCain said back then. It’s as if he saw the future, but not only did no one listen, it was Democrats that struck down this bill.

Mr. President, this week Fannie Mae’s regulator reported that the company’s quarterly reports of profit growth over the past few years were “illusions deliberately and systematically created” by the company’s senior management, which resulted in a $10.6 billion accounting scandal.

The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight’s report goes on to say that Fannie Mae employees deliberately and intentionally manipulated financial reports to hit earnings targets in order to trigger bonuses for senior executives. In the case of Franklin Raines, Fannie Mae’s former chief executive officer, OFHEO’s report shows that over half of Mr. Raines’ compensation for the 6 years through 2003 was directly tied to meeting earnings targets. The report of financial misconduct at Fannie Mae echoes the deeply troubling $5 billion profit restatement at Freddie Mac.

The OFHEO report also states that Fannie Mae used its political power to lobby Congress in an effort to interfere with the regulator’s examination of the company’s accounting problems. This report comes some weeks after Freddie Mac paid a record $3.8 million fine in a settlement with the Federal Election Commission and restated lobbying disclosure reports from 2004 to 2005. These are entities that have demonstrated over and over again that they are deeply in need of reform.

For years I have been concerned about the regulatory structure that governs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac–known as Government-sponsored entities or GSEs–and the sheer magnitude of these companies and the role they play in the housing market. OFHEO’s report this week does nothing to ease these concerns. In fact, the report does quite the contrary. OFHEO’s report solidifies my view that the GSEs need to be reformed without delay.

I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole.

I urge my colleagues to support swift action on this GSE reform legislation.

The reason the Democrats and Obama try to win this election by saying McCain’s old, or that he is another Bush or he is out of touch is because the truth would finalize a McCain win.

Read the above comments and then tell me McCain isn’t a reformer. What’s more incredible is that not one news outlet is covering this story. Not a single one, not even Fox and Drudge.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I am in no way disputing that he was a reformer in 2005. The problem is, quite simply, that he's given up the "reformer" in him in order to try to get elected. Here's some issues that he's 180d on since 2006:

Roe v. Wade
Bush Tax cuts
The length/difficulty of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (2002... on the record as saying that he was "very certain" that it would not be difficult. 2008... saying many knew that it would be a "very difficult undertaking")

And let's face it, his positions that he's changed on now completely align with Bush's.

There IS a chance that he will return to being the "maverick" that he was, don't get me wrong. But his pandering to the right has disgusted me to the point that I will not be voting for him.

Female Vice Pres it could happen - HarvestMoon - 09-17-2008 10:33 PM

Yes, let's do away with the Bush tax cuts, where the minimum rate is 10% after $7,000 and go back to Clinton's rate of 15%, starting after $5,000. People making under $30,000 are not paying their fair share. Let's up their tax rate by 50%.

Female Vice Pres it could happen - Daniel294 - 09-17-2008 10:34 PM

HarvestMoon Wrote:Yes, let's do away with the Bush tax cuts, where the minimum rate is 10% after $7,000 and go back to Clinton's rate of 15%, starting after $5,000. People making under $30,000 are not paying their fair share. Let's up their tax rate by 50%.
You might want to read my post again. I did not give an opinion either way.

Female Vice Pres it could happen - HarvestMoon - 09-17-2008 10:37 PM

Daniel294 Wrote:You might want to read my post again. I did not give an opinion either way.

That's true. The media overlooks the tax break that Bush gave to the working poor. Percentage wise, it was huge.

Female Vice Pres it could happen - Windwatcher - 09-18-2008 08:01 AM

I liked this article this morning, pointing out the dangers of Internet being used to spread lies and half-thruths about both candidates. Although I usually do not agree with this columnist's liberal opinions, he is dead-on with this.

LEONARD PITTS JR. | COLUMNIST
There is no truth to the rumor . . .
Posted on Wed, Sep. 17, 2008reprint print email
Yahoo! BuzzFacebook Digg del.icio.us AIM
By LEONARD PITTS JR.
[email protected]
Related Content
Live at 1 p.m. | Chat with Leonard Pitts Jr.
``Be careful what you do, 'cause the lie becomes the truth.''

-- Michael Jackson

For the record:

Sarah Palin did not call dinosaurs ''lizards of Satan.'' Barack Obama is not a Muslim. That list of books that Palin supposedly wants to ban is a fake. Obama doesn't refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance. The picture of Palin wearing a flag bikini and hefting a gun is a fraud. Obama is, too, a U.S. citizen. Palin doesn't want Alaska to secede.

These and other rumors are, of course, busily bouncing all over the Internet. I dispute them only for the aforementioned record and not from any expectation that doing so will make the slightest bit of difference to the willingness of people to believe whatever they want. I just need to hear truth spoken aloud, need to be able to testify to future generations that it was stated in black and white somewhere in the midst of the maelstrom of mendacity, of lies and damned lies, that now dominates the political debate.

May I share with you the one that sent me over the top? It purports to be a column by Maureen Dowd raising questions about Obama's Internet fundraising. But reading it, I knew immediately it wasn't by Dowd; the leaden, pedestrian prose sounded nothing like The New York Times' breezy doyenne of derision. Two computer searches confirmed my suspicion: The column was a lie with Dowd's name on it.

The brazenness of it struck me. That, and a self-preservationist streak that said, if they can do it to her, they can do it to me.

Maybe you're wondering what's the fuss. Politics and lies, after all, go together like carrion and flies, and this year is no different. Palin's claim that she told Congress ''thanks but no thanks'' on that ''bridge to nowhere?'' Not quite true. Obama's claim that he co-authored a bill to help homeowners threatened by foreclosure? Fudged.

Still, there's something new at work here. After all, this stuff used to be the exclusive province of political operatives; we the people were content to leave lying to the professionals. These days, shadowy groups and shadowier individuals are in the thick of it. The Internet has made it ridiculously easy; you can sabotage a campaign without ever changing out of your PJs. And the swift boat campaign of 2004 showed the potential: John Kerry's bid for the presidency was fatally wounded by unfounded questions regarding his heroism in Vietnam.

Over the last 20 months, we've all seen the next step on this downward spiral. Meaning the right-wing campaign to paint Obama as Osama bin Laden in a suit. But the chorus of prevarication attending Sarah Palin's arrival on the national scene should dispel any notion that one ideology has a monopoly on mendacity.

Factor in the mistrust (both conservative and liberal) of what used to be regarded as the ultimate arbiters of fact -- i.e., news media -- and you have to wonder whether truth still has a future here.

Like so many other things in this country, it has become splintered and factionalized. These days, every ideology has a ''truth,'' and everybody's ''truth'' has an agenda. Nothing is settled and known. All things are up in the air, all things open to interpretation. Indeed, truth hardly seems to be the point anymore. Lies serve just as well. As a result, we are no longer grounded in the same shared body of facts and in a very real sense, have no basis upon which to reason together, no basis for shared mission, purpose or identity.

Those bases are, not incidentally, foundation blocks of nationhood.

Already the political sides in this country talk past each other like Mars and Venus. If the games of obfuscation and fabrication political hacks play really are becoming common among real people, it can only get worse.

They think they're helping a candidate win an election. Truth is, they're helping all of us lose a whole lot more.

Female Vice Pres it could happen - Southernbelle - 09-18-2008 08:17 AM

Windwatcher Wrote:I liked this article this morning, pointing out the dangers of Internet being used to spread lies and half-thruths about both candidates. Although I usually do not agree with this columnist's liberal opinions, he is dead-on with this.

Who needs the internet?
The mainstream biased media is doing a fine job of spreading halftruths.

Female Vice Pres it could happen - HarvestMoon - 09-18-2008 06:58 PM

southernbelle Wrote:Who needs the internet?
The mainstream biased media is doing a fine job of spreading halftruths.

/yeathat:icon_yeah

Female Vice Pres it could happen - DjBabiuk - 09-19-2008 04:04 PM

"I can see Russia from my house."