Hardcore Weather

Full Version: Stormpulse.com charging now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I just went to Stormpulse for the first time this year. I was mildly surprised to see that they have gone from being a free site to being a paid site. My jaw hit the floor, though, when I saw what they are trying to charge. Almost $300 a year with no monthly option? To me, that is totally outrageous. What do others think of this? I realize that it takes money to do what they do but they just priced themselves right out of the average person who lives in a hurricane area's budget.

twiztidcabbie
I have never asked for one cent but have noticed that people like Mark Suddath and others are charging $100+ to access chat and other goodies while other weather sites are begging for money so they can buy $250 weather software programs. Believe me I understand that running websites isn't free but has the weather community been over taken by a bunch of people that are only in it for the money ? I would love to get the thoughts of Hardcoreweather members cause this has always been a subject that has rubbed me the wrong way
I believe the mindset of the weather community has changed because of TV shows like Storm Chasers and the stuff on the weather channel. People see a very, very small group of individuals making a little money and they think they can/deserve money too. I understand every thing cost money today, but what these sights need are people like use here at HCW who are willing to donate to keep a site like this running. Now I am only talking about non-commercial people using the various weather site/software. If you are using it for commercial use (ie making money off of it) then you should pay to use it. But for the individual "weather enthusiest/geek/nerd" then you should not have pay.

James, thanks for all that you do to keep this sight up and running during the lull.
I like the group of people here, but I would not pay for the pleasure of hanging out with any one.

The info I get here is consolidated, I am willing to pay a few bucks a year for that if I can afford it (some years were better than now...).

$300 a year? Not for something I get for free.

Thanks for all you do James, it is very appreciated.
Like ced and JN, I like the fact that all the info I need about severe/tropical weather is consolidated right here at HCW, and the friendly atmosphere among the members. And I too don't mind making a monetary contribution to keep HCW commercial-free.

Thanks James!
dkmac Wrote:Like ced and JN, I like the fact that all the info I need about severe/tropical weather is consolidated right here at HCW, and the friendly atmosphere among the members. And I too don't mind making a monetary contribution to keep HCW commercial-free.

Thanks James!

Ditto

Meanwhile, back to watching that "Alberto" thing. Due here maybe a day or three; more RAIN.
from Crownweather

Quote:Finally, please consider giving Crown Weather Services a donation, no matter how big or small, every donation helps. Our costs and bills include paying for broadband internet, website hosting & bandwidth ($100/month), electricity, computer supplies and software including, GR2Analyst, GRLevel3, GREarth and many other software packages that help us track the weather and warn you well in advance of any storms
ROLLTIDE Wrote:from Crownweather

Roll when I'm looking for weather I've got my favorites.

For years when I'm logged on [to HCW] I DON'T see any advertising or a big Paypal Widget.

Most of the 50+ websites I go to do have an Amazon Ad, a Paypal Widget, and their own Logo Shop ...coffee mugs, baseball caps, other gadgets, and Books

So [in jest] when are we going to see "The HardcoreWeather Book"...

On a serious note I have no Idea who Stormpulse is, I don't have any intention of paying $30 or $300.....

.........please....get an Amazon partner agreement or whatever the best available, and turn it on!
Reference URL's