Hardcore Weather

Full Version: wunderground vs. nws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had been under the impression that weatherunderground.com used data from the national weather service for their forecast. However, after comparing forecasts for north NJ during a recent snowstorm, there were vast discrepancies between the amount forecasted by NWS and Wunderground. NWS was more accurate with a higher amount forecasted.

Since then I have been comparing my local forecasted on the two sites, and they vary differently. Two nights recently NWS forecasted lows of 44 back to back nights. Reality were lows of 33 and 36, which wunderground covered with their 28-34 and 32-37 spread.

So, like TWC, weatherunderground uses their own data to make forecasts now? Through your experiences, which is more accurate?
I have never seen a difference between the two. I look at the 7 day forecast and the forecast discussion and they are the same.
Main issue for Mid-Atlantic has been big snowstorms more than either Tornadoes or Hurricanes.

My recollection is that Weather Underground forecast the record breaker better before the fact, but thats a call whether the prevailing temps when the precipitation arrives.
I started comparing the two over a week ago, and they have been consistently off from one another.

From wunderground:

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows 37 to 42. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph becoming north after midnight.

Monday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. East winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.

from NWS:
Tonight
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 64. Northeast wind around 10 mph becoming south.

Who can you trust?
The 7 day zone forecast from wunderground is the same as the 7 day zone forecast from our local nws office. No difference here.
Interesting, well I guess I'll just keep comparing the two and go with the one that sounds more realistic.
Reference URL's